(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Children's Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Souvenir of the Wisconsin School for the Deaf : 1852-1902"

SoaVEBIR 



CQiscoirf 



#■* 



iw™ai.,. 




EDWARD MINER GALLAUDET 
MEMORIAL LIBRARY 



Gallaudet College 

Kendall Green 
Washington, D. C. 




1852 bH* a ~^ ^° 2 



SOUVENIR 

OF THE 

Wisconsin School for the 

PREPARED BY 

Professor Warren Robinson, M. A, 

ASSISTED BY 

Supervisor J. E. Wachute. 

DELAVAN, WISCONSIN. 

NOVEMBER, 1900^ 

EDWARD MINER GALLAUDET MEMORIAL L$feAflJ 

GALLAUDET COLLEGE 

WASHINGTON, D. G. 




KING-CRAMER CO., 
engravers, 
printers, 
Milwaukee, Wis. 



PREFACE. 



THE idea of this Souvenir originated in the following manner : After the last Keunion in 1898, Mr. Joseph 
E. Wachute, who is Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Wisconsin Association of the Deaf, and 
one of whose duties, in that capacity, it is to prepare a program for the next Reunion, proposed that I write 
a history of the School for that occasion. Resolutions had been passed at the meeting looking toward the com- 
memoration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the establishment of the School at the next meeting of the Association 
in 1901. I suggested that a Souvenir would be better. The suggestion was accepted, and with material I had been 
collecting for years, and with Mr. Wachute's valuable assistance in many ways, this little volume is the outcome, 
although I had not begun the composition of the work until after the opening of school this fall. Besides illustra- 
tions and sketches, or brief notices of persons prominent in the early history of the School, portraits and sketches 
are also given of the principals and superintendents, the resident officers, the instructors of the Industrial depart- 
ment, of teachers whose term of service has been fifteen years, or over— reckoning up to 1902— and also of the college 
graduates. 

For a list of members of Boards of Trustees, Boards of Control, principals, and superintendents, matrons, 
teachers, and other officers, the year of their appointment and terms of service, see end of volume. 

WARREN ROB/NSON. 



The Wisconsin School for the Deaf. 



THE first attempt to provide for the education of the deaf in 
Wisconsin was made by Increase A. Lapham, LL. D. Dr. 
Lapham was born in Palmyra, N. Y., March, 1811. In 1836 he 
came to Wisconsin, settling in Milwaukee, then little more than a 
frontier town. 

He became eminent in science, and was the author of some 
forty-five published works on Botany, Geology, Meteorology, etc., 
and, to crown all, originated and organized the Weather Bureau of 
the United States. Dr. Lapham was a man of great benevolence 
and force of character, and took a keen interest in those of his 
fellow men from whom nature had withheld some gift. His daugh- 
ter, in a letter to the writer a number of years ago, stated that early 
in the forties her father exchanged meteorological observations 
with a deaf man at Mt. Summit, Wis. He also became much inter- 
ested in an uneducated deaf boy in Milwaukee, who was more or 
less a terror to the neighborhood, and whom the Doctor once saved 
from drowning. Besides these, there was a blind man who often 
came to his house for assistance. 

Under such circumstances, a man of Dr. Lapham's nature 
would naturally be led to think of how the condition of such people 
could be bettered, particularly in the matter of education; for he 
himself had failed to obtain a college education, which had been his 
one great ambition when a boy. Finally he wrote the following 
letter to the Hon. Moses M. Strong, then President of the Terri- 
torial Council at Madison : 




INCREASE A. LAPHAM, LL.D. 




REUNION OF WISCONSIN ASSOCIATION, 1895. 



* " Milwaukee, Wis., March 15, 1843. 
" Dear Sir : Believing it to be the right of those unfortunate persons who are by nature excluded from our 
common schools, to participate equally with others in the public funds and donations of land for the support of 
schools, I hope no apology is necessary for directing to you the inclosed draft of resolutions asking an appropriation 

of land by Congress for the purpose of establishing, within the territory of 
Wisconsin, institutions for the instruction of the deaf and dumb, and blind, 
and an asylum for the insane, and for ask- j& ing you to bring the 
same to the attention of the honorahli body K ovei ivhirh yon preside. 

Very respectfully, 

I. A. Lapham. 
Hon. M. M. Strong, 

President of the Council. 

Action was at 
once taken on the 
receipt of the " res- 
olutions " by the 
Council, and Con- 
gress was peti- 
tioned accordingly, 
but there is nd: 
mention in the I 
journals of that 
time that anything 
was done. Thus 

ended the first recorded attempt to establish a school for the deaf in the 
territory. 

In 1898, Dr. Lapham's family presented to the School a fine medallion 
portrait of their father. 
The next step in this direction, and which was ultimately successful, took place in 1850. 
In 1839, Ebenezer Chesebro emigrated from New York to Wisconsin, settling in the town of Darien, on the 
Janesville road, two miles west of Delavan. In his family there was a deaf girl named Ariadna, who had been a 

* For a copy of this letter I am indebted to Prof. George L. Collie, Ph. D., Professor of Geology in Beloit College. 

7 





HOME OF EBENEZER CHESEBRO. 
Where the first School was opened in 1850. 



EBENEZER CHESEBRO. 




GROUP FROM FOX RIVER VALLEY. 




ARIADNA P. CHESEBRO. 

Ariadna P. Chesebro died in 1858, aged twenty-nine years. 
On her monument in Spring Grove Cemetery, Delavan, her name 
is engraved in the letters of the Manual Alphabet, with this 
inscription : " Daughter of the founder of the Deaf and Dumb 
Asylum." 



pupil for two and one-half years in the New York Institution for 
the Deaf and Dumb. At this time, in Magnolia, a village fourteen 
miles east of Janesville, there was living with her parents a Miss 
Wealthy Hawes, a graduate of the above Institution, who, dis- 
covering the whereabouts of the Chesebro family, paid them a 
visit in 1849. 

In 1850 Miss Hawes was pre- 
vailed upon by the Chesebros 
to become Ariadna's private 
teacher, so that her education 
could be continued at home. 

Miss Hawes, making her home 
with the Chesebros, taught 
Ariadna and James A. Dudley, 
a neighbor's deaf son, four 
months. 

In 1851, Mr. John A. Mills, 
also a graduate of the N. Y. 
Institution, and to whom Miss 
Hawes was married in 1855, was 
secured to take her place. These 
two were the first teachers of 
the deaf in Wisconsin, and both 
were afterwards connected with 
the State School, Mr. Mills as 
the first teacher and Mrs. Mills as assistant matron, for eight years. 

After severing his connection with the School, Mr. Mills engaged 
in various occupations, finally settling near Lu Verne, Minnesota, 
where he owned a farm. 

While on a visit to his brother, Mr. E. M. Mills, at Elkhorn, 
Wis., in 1887, he was accidentally killed by the cars. 
9 




MRS. J. A. MILLS. 




GROUP FROM WISCONSIN VALLEY. 

Henry Bortle. Joseph Black. John Kircher. B. Eldridge. J. Chambers. Carrie Jacobson. 

Severine Morean. Mrs. J. E. \V achate. Mrs. Hamlin. Mrs. J. Chambers. 



The services rendered to the infant School by Mr. Mills were valuable in many ways, both as a teacher and 
in his knowledge of the residence of those for whose benefit the School was designed, and these services were 
handsomely acknowledged by Principal Bradway in his first report to the Board of Trustees. Mrs. Mills is still 
living at Lu Verne, Minn. 

• Four months after Mr. Mills commenced teaching at the Chesebro house, the School, then numbering eight 

pupils, had to be discontinued for want of funds. 

Up to that time it had been a pri- 
vate affair, and the Chesebros then con- 
ceived the plan of having the following 
petition circulated in Darien, and adja- 
cent towns, which was signed by one 
hundred citizens of Walworth county : 
" To the honorable the Legislature of the 
State of Wisconsin : 
" The undersigned, citizens of the 
State of Wisconsin, respectfully petition 
your honorable body to pass a law mak- 
ing more ample and just provision for 
the education of that unfortunate por- 
tion of our youth known as ' mutes,' or 
those who are deaf and dumb either, as 
your petitioners would suggest. First, 
by providing for, establishing and main- 
taining at least one school in the State GOV - LEONARD J- farwell, 1852-4, 
where all such children between the ages of four and twenty years may be taught 
free of charge ; or second, by appropriating out of the school fund such sum to 
each chdd as will enable the parents or guardians of such children to educate them 
in some proper school taught for that purpose." 
Through the efforts of the Assemblyman from the Delavan district, the matter was ably handled during the 
session of 1852, and a bill was passed and approved by Governor Leonard J. Farwell, April 19, 1852, incorporating 
the " Wisconsin Institute for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb," to be located " at or near the village of Delavan," 
in Walworth county. The act of incorporation included, among other things, a Board of Trustees consisting of 
Ebenezer Chesebro, William C. Allen, Franklin K. Phoenix, Henderson Hunt, P. W. Lake, Wyman Spooner, Jesse 
2 11 





J. A. MILLS. 




H. O'Neil. 
Mrs. H. O'Xeil. 



E. Slattery. Henry Appel. 

Miss B. Dablke. L. Guttormson. 

Mrs. A. Lawrence. 



THE LA CROSSE DEAF MUTE ASSOCIATION. 

J. Appel. W. J. O'Neil. 

Mrs. L. Guttormson. 
Mrs. W. J. O'Neil. 



J. Kircher. A. Lawrence. 
Miss T. Nertzke. Miss E. Ringrose. 



C. Mills, James A. Maxwell and George Williams, for the general management of the School, with the power to employ 
a principal, and an appropriation of $1,000 a year for three years for building purposes ; and $500 for the support 
of the School for the ensuing year. 

The first meeting of the Board took place in the following June, and 
J. R. Bradway was appointed principal and J. A. Mills, teacher. 

Joseph R. Bradway was born in New York, coming to Delavan at 
the age of twenty-four. He was then considered one of the brightest 
young men in the village. For a time he taught a select school, but giving 
that up, he entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which he grad- 
uated in 1845, and at once began the practice of his profession. For three or 
four years he was School Commissioner. In 1852 he was ap- 
pointed principal for the State School, but resigned in 1853. 
He then went to California, and is now residing at Oakland. 
He is 82 years old. In 1897 he visited Delavan, and was enter- 
tained at the School, but forty-four years had wrought such 
changes, both in the School and the village, that he recognized 
few, if any of the old landmarks. 

The site of the School is on a hill just west of town. It 
comprises thirty-five * acres, twelve of which were donated by 
Mr. F. K. Phoenix, the remainder having been subsequently 
acquired by purchase. The grounds are covered with oak, 
evergreen, maple, and, in summer, present a lovely appearance. 

The grounds have very appropriately been given the name 
of "Phoenix Green," in honor of the donor. Situated in a 
locality having pure air and water, where there is ample room 
for every form of invigorating exercise, it has been pronounced 
by physicians "one of the most healthful locations in the State." principal j. r. bradway, m. d. 

Mr. Phoenix is still living in Delavan. He is a native of New York State, and was born at Perry in 1825. His 
father, Samuel Phoenix, was one of the founders of Delavan, coming to what is now Walworth county in 1836. 

♦July 19th, 1852. — F. K. Phoenix donated 11 69-100 acres to the Wisconsin School for the Deaf. 
June 12th, 1856.— Eliphaz B. and Mary E. Gates sold 21 23-100 acres to Gov. Coles Bashford for the School for the Deaf for $2,000. 
February 27th, 1874. — Amos and Maria C. Phelps sold to the Wisconsin School for the Deaf 2 6-100 acres for $950. 

13 





GROUP FROM SHEBOYGAN. 

August Sonnenberg. John Orlebeke. Wm. Bohling. T. A. Sparks. Fred Weller. John Zarling. John Hoffman. 

Mrs. A. Sonnenberg. Mrs. J. Orlebeke. Mrs. Wm. Bohling. Mrs. F. Weller. Mrs. J. Zarling. Mrs. J. Huffman. 

Alice Lineau. Oscar Hermann. Isaac La Rose. MartbwHinze. 



Mr. Phoenix is a nurseryman of wide reputation, and has for the last twenty years been engaged in that line of 
business in Delavan. The following notice of him and recognition of his labors in behalf of the School are taken 

from the re- 
port of the 
principal of 
the School for 
1854: 

" I have to 
record the loss 
the Institu- 
tion has sus- 
tained in the 
resignation of 
Mr.FK.Phce- 
nix, a member 
oftheBoardof 
Trustees, and 
its former sec- 
retary. The 
resignation of 
Mr. Phcenix 
was occasion- 
ed by his re- 
moval to a sis- 
ter State. His 
services to the 
Institution 
have been 
most valua- 
ble. He con- 
tributed the 
beautiful site 
on which it is 

located. He shared with the other members of the Board in the pioneer labors of this establishment, and he 

always rendered to the principal his most efficient sympathy and support." 

Upon the resignation of Principal Bradway, in 1853, he was succeeded by the Rev. Lucius Foote. Mr. Foote 

15 





FRANKLIN K. PHCENIX. 



PRINCIPAL LUCIUS FOOTE. 




n a 
a -S 

B 3 

X * 
o».S 

00 N 
O .2 

£ 

a 



a 
z 

<c 

as 

S 
o 
as 
m 

a. 

O 

as 
O 



a 
o 

00 

a 
.a 
o 



•o 

s 

0) 



c 



o 
93 



2 



was born in Massachusetts in 1798. Educated for the ministry, he was ordained at Trenton, New Jersey, in 1829. 
Before coming to Wisconsin in 1847 he had resided in several Eastern States. For seven years he was pastor of 
the Congregational church in Delavan. In 1863 he went to California, dying there in 1887, in the eighty-ninth year 
of his age. 

While the first building was being erected the pupils, numbering eight, were removed from the Chesebro 
residence and were boarded in private families in the village until, increasing to fourteen, a house was rented for 
their special use, and the upper story of a brick building, since destroyed by fire, with its original sign of " Boots 

and Shoes," was used as a school-room. 

The new building was completed in 1854, and the 
pupils were moved into it from their quarters in the 
village. It was a red brick structure, 33 x 44, two stories, 
besides basement and attic, and was only a part of a 
complete set of buildings, consisting of transverse and 
lateral wings on either side of a main edifice, which was 
not finished until 1867. (See page 24.) 

In the meantime Mr. Foote had dropped his con- 
nection with the School, and the Board of Trustees had 
cast about for a man of experience in the education and 
management of such an institution. They found him 
in the person of the Hon. Horatio N. Hubbell, former 
principal of the Ohio Institution. Though not accept- 
ing the offer of principal of the new School, Mr. Hub- 
bell, nevertheless, came to Delavan and spent several 
weeks in organizing it, and when he left he promised to aid the Trustees in securing a suitable man for the place. 

Horatio Nelson Hubbell was born in Trumbull, Fairfax county, Conn., in 1779. His early education was 
largely in the direction of missionary and ministerial work, but neither became his fixed vocation. Becoming in- 
terested in the then novel work of educating the deaf, he was offered and accepted the principalship of the School 
just established at Columbus, Ohio, which he opened in 1829. He managed the affairs of the School with distin- 
guished ability until 1851. In 1857 he died, beloved and honored, not only by hosts of the deaf of Ohio, but by 
all who knew him. True to his word, Mr. Hubbell recommended to the Board Prof. L. H. Jenkins, M. A., a teacher 
in the Ohio School. 




THE BRICK BUILDING. 



17 




INCOMING PUPILS FOR 1899. 




INCOMING PUPILS FOR 1900, 








i 






a 


r^j o 






^iJflr-'v' 


ft 

■To 










GROUP OF THE OLDER BOYS, 




GROUP OF THE YOUNGER BOYS. 




GROUP OF THE OLDER GIRLS. 




GROUP OF THE YOUNGER GIRLS. 




OLD INSTITUTE— DESTROYED BY FIRE SEPT. 16, 1879. 



He 

On 



Louis Henry Jenkins was born near Hudson, New York, and graduated from Hamilton College in 1851. 
had been an instructor in the Ohio Institution for three years when he received his appointment to this School. 

assuming his 
new office, Mr. 
Jenkins at once 
began to awaken 
a public interest 
in the new insti- 
tution by exhib- 
iting some of the 
pupils in promi- 
nent places in 
the State,includ- 
i n g Madison, 
where a deep in- 
terest was shown 
in the matter by 
Governor W. A. 
Barstow. Healso 
strongly advo- 
cated thesubject 
of industrial ed- 
ucation. Other 
things came in 
for a share of his 
attention, in- 
cluding the un- 
finished build- 
ings which, for 

want of lath, plaster and paint, presented a prison-like aspect. On his retirement from the management of the 
School, Mr. Jenkins taught for some years in the Institution at Jacksonville, 111., and was afterwards principal of the 

25 





PRINCIPAL L. H. JENKINS, M. A. 



PRINCIPAL H. N. HUBBELL. 




ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION. 



Kansas School for nine years. It was through his efforts that bills incorporating both the Kansas and Nebraska 
Schools were passed by the respective Legislatures of those States. Mr. Jenkins died of a paralytic stroke while 
pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Marshfield, Wis., at the age of fifty-six. 

It was during his administration that Prof. Hiram Phillips entered the profession here, and in which he 
has continued ever since, teaching here for twenty-five years, and the remaining years at the Kansas and Iowa 

Institutions, in the latter of which he is still employed in the Academic depart- 
ment, and is Editor of the Hawheye, the School paper. Mr. Phillips is a graduate 
of the Ohio School. Referring to Mr. Phillips' proficiency, Mr. Hubbell, who 
had been principal of the Ohio Institution for twenty-two years, said : " I consider 
him No. 1, or about that, of all my pupils." In relating his impressions upon first 
arriving in Wisconsin, Mr. Phillips writes : 

" Coming to Wisconsin in the fall of 1854 to teach in the new School for the 
Deaf I landed, bag and baggage, on the brow of the hill from a mail coach plying 
between Beloit and Delavan, there being no railroads to Delavan then. Through 
the dense woods I caught sight of a two-story building. Winding my way 
through a fenceless and trackless plot of ground abounding in native trees, hazel 
and other bushes, I found at last the entrance to what was to be the scene of my 
future operations. Privations and inconveniences, not now obtaining in like Insti- 
tutions, prevailed in our embryo School. 

" The old-fashioned washtub, antiquated wood stove, greasy lamp, wood and 
water carriers were our reliances in the laundry, heating, lighting and plumbing 
department. 

"The first great feat in the way of plumbing was the establishment of a 
hydraulic ram, which forced water up the hill to a small basin of masonry at the 
rear of the building, from which it was drawn by pail, pitcher, cup, tub, and not 
infrequently by the hand, and thirsty mouth. 

" For a year there were no other buildings constructed, except a diminutive 
stable which became necessary in the winter when a horse and wagon were purchased for the use of the School. 
The stable was made by nailing stray boards to trees, and thatching it. The horse was quite an addition to the 
household, and had many friends among the boys, who saw that his bridle-bits were breathed upon and rubbed 
warm of a frosty morning. Delavan being an isolated place, all the lumber used in the construction of the additional 
buildings was hauled from Racine, a distance of forty-six miles. In those days mill-goers would forsake the main 
road and cut across our grounds to the grist mill. One road was where the front gate and Manual Training building 
now stand. Another was through Deacon De Wolf's, and our present orchards, down along the north edge of the bluff. 
" Pupils came to school by team, some coming by the quaint ox-team, and a few on foot, one little boy trudging 
forty miles by the side of his father. 

27 




HIRAM PHILLIPS. 




A. CLASS IN CALISTHENICS. 

Mies Julia I. Carney, 
Instructor. 



" Exhibitions by the pupils before the Legislature at Madison were made annually in the winter, the trip be- 
ing made on sleds to Milton, twenty miles distant, to catch the nearest train. 

" Many and great inconveniences were experienced, but we were successful in our object, and to-day the deaf 
of Wisconsin have as fine and complete a building as any in the country. 

" Nature has been so ably assisted by art that now a landscape, surpassing in beauty and harmony, is pre- 
sented to the eye. So completely has the primitive aspect of the place been changed that the eye fails to see the 
latest sign of the landmarks of a half century ago.'" 

The first Governor to visit the School was Governor Wm. A. Barstow, accom- 
panied by Lieutenant-Governor McArthur, in the fall of 1854. As the distin- 
guished gentlemen entered the chapel where the pupils were assembled, they all 
rose in a body to pay their respects. The Governor made a short address, in which 
he expressed his interest in the School and the deaf generally, and at its close they 
again arose — this time of their own accord — to express their thanks. Many Govern- 
ors have since visited the School, the last being Governor Edward Scofield, in No- 
vember, 1899, whose visit was very much enjoyed by the whole Institution family. 

Prof. Z. G. McCoy, like Mr. Phillips, began his life work under Mr. Jenkins. 
Mr. McCoy was born at Fort Edward, Washington county, N. Y., November 1, 
1828, and died at Delavan, Wis., October 9, 1883. He was educated at the New 
York Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. At his graduation in 1855 he received 
valuable awards for his high attainments, for his genial good character, and for 
" the very creditable appearance he made when exhibited at Albany " before the 
Legislature. Once, in the early history of the School, the vacation of the prin- 
cipal's office being necessary, Mr. McCoy was chosen by the Board of Trustees to 
take temporary charge until a new principal was appointed. He served the 
School faithfully for twenty-eight years. 

In 1856 Mr. Jenkins was succeeded by Mr. John Scott Officer, M. A., 
under whose management the Institute made marked progress. 

Mr. Officer was of Scotch-Irish descent, and was born in Washington, Washington county, Penn. His father 
and grandfather both occupied prominent positions in church and civil society at that place. Soon after the com- 
pletion of his education at Washington College, Penn., he became interested in the education of the deaf and dumb 
through the influence of his brother, Thomas Officer, who was the first principal of the Illinois School for the Deaf. 
Mr. J. S. Officer was first employed as a teacher in the Ohio Institution, and afterwards in the Illinois Institution. 

29 




Z. G. MCCOY. 




GOVERNOR'S GUARDS. 



In 1860 Industrial education was begun in the form of cabinet-making in a building erected for the purpose. 
During the session of 1857-58 a law passed the Legislature requiring pupils who were sent to the deaf and 
dumb or blind institutions, to pay seventy-five dollars per annum, 
unless " parents could make oath before an officer that they were 
unable to pay that amount." A similar law was passed in 1867 ; 
but these laws operated so disastrously on the prosperity of those 
Institutes that they were both repealed soon after their passage. 

The period of the Civil War was a time of considerable pecu- 
niary embarrassment to the Institute, and teachers worked on 
reduced salaries. 

In June, 1861, an event of unusual interest occurred, namely, 
the first formal graduation of five pupils, who had completed the 
then prescribed course of study. Having with no little difficulty 
secured photographs and tintypes of the five original members of 
the class, a composite group is herewith presented (see pages 32 
and 33), with a sample of the diploma awarded. 

Eight marriage ceremonies have been performed at the School 
since its establishment. The first was the marriage of Miss O. S. 
Taylor, matron, to L. Eddy, teacher, in 1861 ; the second, that of 
* James Dudley and Miss Flora Virgil, assistant matron, in 1863 ; 
the third, of D. T. Gifford, engineer, to Miss A. Boyce, assistant 
matron, in 1872 ; the fourth, of R. A. Gates, steward, and Miss 
Katie De Motte, teacher, in 1880; the fifth, of Garret Minert 
and Miss Emily Althaus, in 1882 ; the sixth, of Charles A. 
Tetzlaff and Miss Cynthia Williams, in 1883 ; the seventh, of 
Miss Annie M. Gray, a teacher in the School, to Mr. J. S. 
Smith, in 1891 ; and the eighth, of J. B. Googins and Miss Ruth 
Swiler, in 1896. 

Mr. Officer died in office in 1865, and is buried in Spring principal j. s. officer, m. a. 

Grove Cemetery, in Delavan, by the side of his wife, who preceded him by only a year. 

* So far as known, Mr. Dudley was the first Wisconsin deaf-mute to marry. 

31 








*a5/ rt»%a» SSry - 



?&& 



( f5DEAF JLIS. II D S Vf U 







■4ti. 



33l*< (Ti'&tiinoiiiiif) ' . — ' 

- ■ ,'/ O '/ 

yy>#> /«.,/„/,/,/■ .:// L yrr//.,<r/'/M>/r/ //?., ■ /,/.,//////, „„,//,„., .jr„, '.*,/„//,/ ,r//,/,/r/rs///, 
/,„..,->,/;/? ff//:j/ ,/,////?//,., „„„/,/,/,„ /,/;„ ,/,yy,„,„/,/ /,j ,//„/,„/„/,,,/„„/„„.„,„„„„</{,//, 
ry/ss.j///,,/, n/u/yn/rw/y/f/sr/sr/n/ ,//,r/„., /„ „,„ /,„,,., //„ . /„.,/,/„/, „,// ,;,,/!? ,/,„//,,„,; / /r ,JJ//,*, r / 



- S s/ssrr/// . /„,,( _s/, " /A/;/ 



///^///a/y/^Aj, «... 



■ "TBI 'MTKtA , 



FAC-SIMILB OP DIPLOMA AWARDED TO FIRST GRADUATES. 




fMCF 



FIRST GRADUATING CLASS — 1861. 

Thomas Jones. George Taylor. James A. Dudley. 

Alphonso Johnson. Washington Farrar. 

33 



Miss Emily Eddy, who has the honor of 
having been connected with this School longer 
than any other person in its history, that is, 
from * 1857 to 1895, the first woman employed 
as a teacher, and the first teacher to begin speech- 
teaching i n 
this School 
in 1868, was 
born at Mt. 
Auburn',N. 
Y., and edu- 
cated at Mt. 
Holyoke Col- 
lege, Mass. 

It has come 
to the writer's 
knowledge 
that as early 
as 1861 Miss 
Eddy noticed 
the speech of 
those pupils 
and others 
who had lost 
their hearing 
at an early age, and that she had made some ob- 
servations and experiments of her own with a 
view to its preservation and cultivation. So 
when Miss Harriet B. Rogers, the first teacher 

*A diary Miss Eddy had kept for twenty-two years was 
destroyed in the fire of 1879. 




MISS EMILY EDDY. 



,*•*-* 



in the Clarke Institution, then just established at Northampton, Mass., visited this School in the summer of 1868, 
Miss Eddy was fully prepared to receive whatever would be helpful in that direction. Miss Rogers remained long 

enough to " give the trustees and teachers instruction in her 
method of teaching." At the opening of school in the fall a 
class was formed according to the most advanced methods of 
that day, and put under Miss Eddy's instruction. 

Speech-teaching was also introduced into the Illinois School 
at the same time, thus making these two Schools the first in the 
West to teach speech to the deaf. 

During Mr. Weed's administration Miss Eddy was sent to 
the Illinois Institution at Jacksonville, to make a study of Dr. 
Bell's system of Visible Speech then in use there, and upon her 
return it was introduced into this School. 

The work has not only been kept up, but constantly im- 
proved on and extended from its inception to the present time. 

When Miss Eddy began this work thirty-two years ago, 
Wm. C. Allen, President of the Board of Trustees, wrote of her : 
" Miss Eddy not only seems to have the will, but a heart in the 
work, and the trustees feel to accord to her great praise for what 
she has done, and are confident of her future success in this 
direction " — and she did succeed, for she was a woman of 
singular devotion and perseverance in everything she under- 
took. 

She is now living in Duluth, Minn. 

Mr. Officer was succeeded by Dr. H. W. Milligan. The 
early life of Henry W. Milligan was spent on a farm in West 
Stockbridge, Mass., where he was born. In the course of time 
he graduated from Williams College. After that he was occu- 
pied for some time as a postoffice clerk, and private teacher. 
Eemoving to Philadelphia, he became connected with the School for the Deaf in that city, and during the nine 
years he taught there, attended medical lectures, and finally graduated from the Medical Department of the 

34 




PRINCIPAL H. W. MILLIGAN, M. D. 




CABINET AND CARPENTRY DEPARTMENT. 



University of Pennsylvania. He is now Emeritus Professor of History and English Literature, and Librarian of 
Illinois College. His administration was signalizedjby the introduction of speech teaching, of steam heating, and 

gas lighting, and the opening of the shoe shop in the second story 
of the cabinet shop. Before this the Institution had been heated 
by some thirty or forty stoves, and lighted by kerosene lamps. 

Prof. W. A. Cochrane began work under Dr. Milligan in 1867. 
Mr. Cochrane was born at Rip- 
lay, Chautauqua county, New 
York, coming to Beloit, Wis., 
in 1854. Educated in the com- 
mon schools of Beloit, he en- 
tered Beloit College and gradu- 
ated in 1867. With the excep- 
tion of four years, in which he 
was employed as teacher in 
the Michigan School, and three 
years out of the profession, from 
1892 to 1895, he has taught here 
ever since. For a time he was 
in the army during the Civil 
War, a member of Co. B, For- 
tieth Wisconsin Volunteers. For 
fifteen years he was a member 
of the Delavan School Board 
and its secretary. Particularly 

of late years the people of this community have honored him in a 
number of ways. He was elected alderman in 1882, '85 and '90, and 
mayor in 1894. In the same year he was appointed a member of 
the county board to fill a vacancy. In November, 1892, he was 
elected to the Legislature as assemblyman from the second district. He was one of the original incorporators of 
the " Delavan Lake Assembly " and has been president of the Association up to the present time. 

36 





W. A. COCHRANE, M. A. 



PRINCIPAL E. C. STONE, M. A. 




SHOEMAKING DEPARTMENT. 



Upon the resignation of Dr. Milligan in 1868, Prof. Edward Collins Stone, M. A., was elected principal. Mr. 
Stone was born at Hartford, Conn., where his father was a teacher in the American School for the Deaf. He was a 
graduate of Yale, and had had six years experience as a teacher in the Ohio and Hartford Schools, besides having 
been familiar with the deaf all his life. Upon the sudden death of his father, then superintendent of the Hartford 
School, Mr. Stone was appointed his successor in 1870. He died in Hartford in 1878. 

Mr. Stone was always regarded as a great success, whether as teacher or 
principal, and the secret of it is to be found embodied in the following words 
uttered on his death bed: " I have always been among the deaf and dumb, and 
have always loved them. I have been glad to give my life to them. I love 
them all." 

To Philip S. Engelhardt belongs the honor of being the first pupil from 
Milwaukee in 1854, the first graduate of this School to represent Wisconsin in 
Gallaudet College, and the first to receive an appointment from Principal 
Stone as teacher in his Alma Mater in 1870. On account of his father's death, 
he did not graduate from the College, but he was given a certificate at the end 
of three years that carried with it all but graduation honors. After his resigna- 
tion as a teacher in 1871 , he engaged in two or three different occupations, 
finally becoming a pattern-maker in Allis & Co.'s shops, where he worked from 
1879 till the summer of 1900, with the exception of two years spent at Madison, 
Indiana, where he was building superintendent, and foreman of the largest fur- 
niture factory in that State. He was the first president of the Wisconsin 
Association of the Deaf, and founder of the first Society of the Deaf in Mil- 
waukee in 1884. He is now secretary of the Evangelical Lutheran Congrega- 
tion of that city. Mr. Engelhardt is a close student of the industrial condi- 
tions of the deaf and is well acquainted with their needs in that line. 
While Mr. Stone was principal the composite group of officers and teachers of the School, shown on the 
following page, was presented to him. 

Mr. Woodbury, steward, is connected with a grocery store in town. 

Mr. Gifford, engineer, who married Miss Boyce, assistant matron, is successfully engaged in farming at Genoa 
Junction, Wis. 

Mr. Valentine, teacher, is a lawyer and real estate man at Red Wing, Minnesota. 

38 




P. S. ENGELHARDT. 




C. H. D. T. Gifford. A.J. Woodbury. 

Rideout. Miss J. Northrop. 

Miss E. E. Boyce. Miss A.. Northrop. Miss M. Hutton. E. Young. 
Miss A. Cornell. C. L. Williams. W. A. Cochrane. L. Eddy. 

Z. G. McCoy. E. G. Valentine. H. Phillips. 

G. F. Schilling. Principal Stone. Miss E. Eddy. 39 



Mr. Young, who was for twenty-one years the 
efficient instructor in cabinet-making and carpen- 
try, died at his home in Delavan in March, 1897. 

Miss Hutton was employed then as general 
help, having been a pupil. She died at her home in 
Janesville, in 1892. 

Mr. Rideout, instructor in shoe-making, is a 
prosperous carpenter in Delavan. 

Mr. Schilling, teacher, who left the School in 
1883, engaged in selling books, and afterwards 
removed to Dakota and then to Minnesota, where 
he now resides. 

Mr. Eddy, at one time principal of the West 
Virginia School for the Deaf, is still teaching in the 
Kentucky School for the Deaf. 

Miss Alice J. Cornell, matron, married a Mr. 
Bishop, became a widow, and died in California 
in 1895. 

The whereabouts of Miss J. Northrop, teacher, 
and her sister, Miss A. Northrop, visitors' attend- 
ant, and Mr. C. L. Williams, is unknown. 

For the others, see sketches. 

Mr. Stone's successor, George Ludington Weed, 
M. A., was born at Union Mission Station, Arkan- 
sas Territory, and spent his early childhood among 
the Osage and Creek Indians, for his father was a 
missionary among them. The family home was in 
Cincinnati, and from there he entered Marietta 
College. Having the ministry in view, which he 
never entered, he began preparing himself at 
Andover Theological Seminary, but was compelled 




THE GYMNASIUM. 



to relinquish study on account of his eyes. He then traveled extensively in Europe, Egypt, and Syria. He was 
induced to enter upon the work of deaf-mute instruction by Rev. Collins Stone, then superintendent of the Ohio 
Institution, and when Mr. Stone resigned, Mr. Weed became his suc- 
cessor. While he was principal he secured the passage of a bill 
through the Ohio Legislature practically re-building and enlarging 

the Ohio School. 

Mr. Weed taught for some years 
in the Philadelphia Institution, 
but is now retired. Of late he has 
gained considerable note as a 
writer, one of his best known 
books being " Great Truths Simply 
Told," which is used in many 
schools for the deaf in this coun- 
try. Under Mr. Weed the school 
work was kept well in hand, and 
it was at this time that the State 
Superintendent of Public Instruc- 
tion acknowledged the Institute as 
one of the educational interests of 
the State. 

Mrs. Eleanor McCoy, who began 
teaching during Mr. Weed's ad- 
ministration in 1874, was con- 
nected with the School for twenty- 
one years. She was born at Lac Des Deux, in the Province of Mon- 
tagn, Canada, and was educated at the New York Institution, where 
she took high rank as a pupil. After graduation she was for some 
time assistant matron of the Institution, and afterwards a private 

teacher for five years in Canada. Mrs. McCoy's teaching abilities were of the first order, and when she retired 
from the profession in 1895, she carried with her the kindest regards, and best wishes of her friends, and 

41 




MRS. ELEANOR McCOY. 




PRINCIPAL GEORGE L. WEED, M. A. 




PRINTING DEPARTMENT. Editor Larsen. 



above all, the satisfaction of knowing that her work had been well done. She is still living at her home in Delavan. 

William Henry De Motte, who succeeded Mr. Weed, is a native of Kentucky, but removed with his parents 
to Western Indiana. He graduated from De Paw University in the 
class of '49. His first teaching of the deaf was in Mr. J. S. Brown's 
" wonderful school of deaf people," at Indianapolis, in 1850, and 
the greater part of his time since then has been spent in the educa- 
tion of the deaf, either as teacher or superintendent. During the 
war he resigned to accept a military commission under Governor 
Morton, and at the conclusion of the war undertook an educational 
enterprise under the control of the Methodist Episcopal Church. 

While in charge of this School he was honored with the title 
of " Doctor of Laws " by Lawrence University. 

The following events marked his term of office : The erection 
of a small wooden building for a gymnasium ; the opening of a 
basket shop for two years in a part of the cabinet shop ; the intro- 
duction of printing and the starting of a paper, the Deaf-Mute 
Press, in 1878 ; the giving of elementary instruction in drawing 
for a few months ; the erection and fitting up of a building for a 
kitchen and laundry ; and the destruction of the old Institute by fire 
September 16, 1879. No clue as to the origin of the fire has ever 
yet been obtained. The building was a total loss to the State, as it 
was not covered by insurance. In spite of the great inconveniences 
caused by this most unexpected calamity, the work of the Institute 
was not suspended. The shoe-shop was immediately converted into 
a dormitory for the boys, and the lady teachers and girls were taken 
in by private families on the hill and down town. In the meantime 
the school work was mostly carried on in the Methodist church in 
the village, until the carpenter shop was divided up into school-rooms 
and a small office for the principal and steward. 

After the fire the public press began seriously to discuss the advisability of moving the Institute to some 
other place, but nothing resulted from the discussion. Plans for new buildings were adopted and, an appropriation 

43 




SUPERINTENDENT W. H. DeMOTTE, LL. D. 




PRESENT BUILDINGS OF THE WISCONSIN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF. 



Shop. 



Cottage. 
Boys' Building. 



Gymnasium. 
Main Building, 



Chapel. 



Manual Training School. 



School House, 



of $65,000 having been secured, their erection was commenced in the spring of 1880. These buildings, which are a 
modification of the congregate plan, will accommodate two hundred and fifty pupils, and are well suited to more 
completely separate and classify pupils of different sex, age and state of advancement. 

Dr. De Motte was afterwards superintendent of the Kansas School for the Deaf. Upon leaving that Institu- 
tion he was offered a similar position in the Iowa School, but declined it. It is rather as a scholar and teacher that 
Dr. De Motte occupies a pre-eminent place in the profession, and the advancement of this Institution in scholarship 

was one of the marked features of his regime. He is now one of the prominent 
teachers in the Indiana Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. 

Although advanced in years, he carries his age more lightly and can accom- 
plish more work than many a younger man. The ease, grace, facility and power 
with which he uses the sign language is unsurpassed. 

Mrs. Mary H. Fiske was born in Kipon, Wis., June 14, 1852, and died of con- 
sumption in Delavan, Wis., December 21, 1895. She was a graduate of Ripon Col- 
lege and Oshkosh Normal School, and received her appointment from Superintend- 
ent De Motte in 1878. On account of failing health she resigned in 1892 and with 
her husband traveled in New Mexico and California. On receipt of the news of her 
death, the following resolution was adopted by the Teachers' Association of the 
School : 

" Whereas, It has pleased our Heavenly Father to remove by death Mrs. Mary 
Hunter Fiske, who was for fourteen years a teacher in the Wisconsin School for the 
Deaf ; and 

" Whereas, Her gentle Christian character and exceptional ability as a teacher 
were ever used to promote the cause of education and the best interests of the 
School ; 

" Resolved, That in her death the profession has lost a useful, faithful and 
conscientious member, the School a valued instructor, and the deaf a friend, and we, 
the teachers and officers of the School, desire to express our highest esteem for her, and appreciation of her work." 

Superintendent De Motte resigned in 1880, and John W. Swiler, M. A., of Jacksonville, 111., was elected in 
his place. 

Mr. Swiler was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1814. In 1852 his parents removed to 
Monmouth, Illinois, and, in the course of time, he entered the College at that place and graduated in 1864, after 
which he engaged in the book trade for two years. In 1867 he went to Jacksonville, when he was appointed as a 

45 




MRS. M. H. FISKE. 




Richard Guenther. 



STATE BOARD OF CONTROL. 

M. J. Tappins. G. W. Bishop. 

Win. P. Lyon. 



E. R. Petherick. 



N. B. Treat. 



teacher in the State Institution there. Mr. Swiler's stay at Jacksonville covered thirteen years, during which time he 
constantly rose to prominence as a man well fitted to educate and govern. Endowed with great practical and executive 
ability as well as good judgment, he seems to have found his 
proper place in the profession. His experience grows rapidly 
with his years. His appearance gives the impression of energy, 
decision and firmness. His use of the sign language is char- 
acterized by perspicuity, and his utterances are fraught with 
the useful and practical. Since he came here he has steadily 
grown in the esteem of those in his charge, no less for his man- 
aging skill than for the faithful care, consideration, and respect 
he ever evinces for them. And, in closing, it does not seem too 
much to say that his management has had a tendency to develop 
the present material and mental resources of the School to a 
degree never surpassed. 

Besides superintending the erection and fitting up of the 
new buildings during the summer and fall of the same year, the 
following improvements have been made during his administra- 
tion : The erection of a new engine house and smoke stack, 
with the removal of the old one ; of a new and well-equipped 
gymnasium ; the introduction of systematic drawing and paint- 
ing ; the change in the name of the Institute to " The Wiscon- 
sin School for the Deaf"; the addition of a bakery to the 
industrial department ; the establishment of The Wisconsin 
Times, a regular weekly paper, in place of the Deaf-Mute Press, 
of irregular issue ; the use of electricity in lighting ; the build- 
ing of a manual training school in 1896, and the adoption of a 
course of study covering ten years, and many minor improve- 
ments, such as a new engine house, laundry, refrigerator, and 
cottage for small boys. 

Besides these new ideas, improved methods in teaching, new tools and machinery have been introduced into 
both school-room and shop, making the School one of the best equipped educational institutions in the State. 

47 




SUPERINTENDENT JOHN W. SW1LER, M. A. 




Elsie Swiler. 



David S. Googins. 



Mrs. J. \V. Swiler. 



George Swiler. 



Mrs. Swilcr-Googins. 



From its establishment in 1852 the School had been under the general management of a Board of Trustees, 
but in 1881, with all the other charitable, penal, and reformatory institutions in the State, it was placed under a 
State Board of Supervision, consisting of five members appointed by the Governor, having their headquarters in the 
Capitol at Madison. In 1891 this board was reorganized under the name of the State Board of Control. 

One very important matter, which has not been referred to, is the provision made by this School to render it 
as pleasant and homelike as possible for those in its charge. With this object in view such entertainments, socials, 
etc., as young people enjoy, are gotten up. Especially during the winter holidays, as Christmas and New Year, 
nothing is left undone to make them the most enjoyable of the year, by little gifts, in addition to those which so 
many pupils usually receive from their homes at this time. Besides the above, the writer does not hesitate to add 
that the appointments of the domestic department are excellent ; that the diet furnished is clean, wholesome and 
healthful ; that the rules and regulations for discipline are such as obtain in the best families ; and that in case of 
sickness, both boys and girls are well cared for by the attending physician, and experienced nurses. 

In concluding this part of the Souvenir, it would be an unpardonable omission not to refer to the loyalty and 
devotion the citizens of Delavan have always shown in the welfare and progress of this School. When the ques- 
tion was up for its establishment in 1852, Elkhorn, in its apathy, was quickly outdone by the vigorous measures 
taken by this town to secure it. When the talk was started of moving the School to some other locality, after the 
fire in 1879, leading citizens and the press of this city were again equal to the emergency and successfully fought 
every movement looking toward that end. 

In a word, Delavan has come to consider the School, and its beautiful site, a jewel in its crown, and proposes 
1o retain it. 




49 




THE CHAPEL. 



Resi dent Oef/cers. 



T 



'HE following are the resident 
officers of the School, including 

the School Physician, all of whom 

received their appointment, with one 

exception, during the present admin- 
istration. 

Edgar D. Fiske was born in Da- 

rien. He attended the schools of the 

vicinity, and, in addition, for a time, 

Wayland Academy and the State 

Normal School at Whitewater. His 

connection with the School began as 

Boys' Supervisor in 1879. He served 

in that capacity until 1884, when he 

was promoted to his present position 

as Assistant Steward. Previous to 

the death of his wife in 1895, they both 

spent considerable time in New Mex- 
ico and California. After her death 

he was for a time employed in the 

Citizens' Bank of Delavan, returning 
to his old position here in 1898. Three of Mr. Fiske's brothers have also been in the employment of the School, 
Henry N., Silas W. and George A., who was for years Assistant Engineer. 

Miss Sarah D. Gibson, the present Matron, is a graduate of Monmouth College. She taught district schools 

51 





MlsS S. D. GIbSON, B. S. 



EDGAR D. FISKE. 




DINING ROOM. 



for several years. For thirteen years she has been matron of this School, and for two years she was associate matron 
of Gallaudet College, Washington, D. C. She was also matron of the Illinois School for the Deaf one year. 

While it has been the exception rather than the rule, to dwell on the merits of persons in this Souvenir, it 
would be a mistake not to mention the tact, efficiency, and devotion with which Miss Gibson has managed the 
domestic department, which proves that it was never in better hands. 

In length of service, Miss Tillie Can- 
nan, of Darien, takes precedence of 
everyone now connected with the 
School, having begun her work here in 
1878, first as dining-room girl, then as 
nurse and visitors' attendant until 1892, 
when she was made Assistant Matron. 

Miss Nellie McGuire has served the 
School fourteen years, for a time in 
charge of the pupils' dining-room, then 
of the girls in the ironing room, and for 
the last three years as Visitors' Attend- 
ant and girls' nurse. She was born in 
Rochester, N. Y., coming to Wisconsin 
when a child with her parents, who first 
settled at Rock Prairie, but afterwards 
moved to the head of Delavan Lake, 
where they still live. 

Mrs. Mina Ramsey, of the town of 
Delavan, is boys' nurse. 
Mr. John Dooley, of Delavan, is night watchman. 
Warren Marques Stillman was born in Kingsville, Ashtabula county, Ohio. His first job at engineering was 
at the age of thirteen years, in the sash and blind factory at Burr Oaks, Michigan. As soon as he was old enough 
he enlisted in the First Michigan Cavalry in 1865, and was discharged at Ft. Leavenworth at the close of the war. 
He then engaged in his old occupation, and shop-work in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan, working for several years in 
the flour mills at Clinton, Wis. Previous to coming here in 1882, he was employed in the Minnetonka Flour Mill 

53 





MISS TILLIE CANNAN. 



MISS NELLIE McGUIRE. 




A CLASS IN COOKING IN MANUAL TRAINING DEPARTMENT. 



Co. The next place he filled, after leaving here in 1892, was that of Engineer for the Union Depot Street Railway 
Company of St. Louis. In 1896 he was appointed Engineer and Electrician of the Industrial School for Boys at 
Waukesha, which place he relinquished when he was offered his former position here. Mr. Stillman has traveled 
extensively, particularly in the West. In 1898 he was elected alderman of the First ward in Delavan. He is 

unmarried. 

Joseph Edward Wachute was born 

at Prairie du Chien, in 1870 ; entered 

school in 1880, and graduated in 1890, 

and was appointed to his present posi- 
tion as Boys' Supervisor in 1891. He 

is quiet and unassuming in manner, but 

faithful and fearless in the discharge 

of his duties. He knows the boys like 

an open book, and manages them with 

tact and skill. He is thoroughly famil- 
iar with every nook and cranny of the 

little "village" on the hill, and the 

grounds are always models of neatness 

and order. 

He is Chairman of the Executive 

Committee of the Wisconsin Associa- 
tion of the Deaf. 

Charles C. Blanchard, M. D., was 

born in Arcadia, Cayuga county, N. Y., 

August 7, 1846. He came with his 

parents, while a child, to Racine, Wis., 
and moved to Delavan in 1851. He studied medicine with his father, Dr. O. W. Blanchard, a physician of the old 
school. He attended lectures at Rush Medical College, and Bennett Medical College, from the latter of which he 
graduated in 1863. He returned to Wisconsin, and practiced in Walworth and Sharon. In 1868 he formed a part- 
nership with his father at Delavan, and succeeded to his practice after his death in 1879. In 1880 and 1881 Dr. 
Blanchard attended a course of lectures at the Chicago College of Ophthalmology and graduated in 1881. He was 

55 





JOSEPH E. WACHUTE. 



WARREN MARQUES STILLMAN. 




ENGINE AND DYNAMO ROOM. 



W, 



William Henry. 
M. Stillman. John Moorb. 



secretary of the State Medical Society three years ; is a member of the National Medical Association and was elected 
an honorary member of the National Institute of Medicine and Surgery at St. Louis. The Doctor served sev- 
eral years as member of the Village Board of Trustees, and since the incorporation of Delavan as a city, has several 
times been elected City Physician and Health Officer, which position he still holds. Dr. Blanchard served in the war 
of the Rebellion as private and Hospital Steward for three years and ten months, under Col. Samuel Fallows, of 
the Forty-ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Was appointed Physician to the State School for the Deaf by 
the State Board of Control in 1896, which position he still holds. His father, Dr. O. W. Blanchard, was Trustee 
of this School during the years 1854, '55 and '56. 




C. C. BLANCHARD, M. D. 
57 




STUDIO IN, MANUAL TRAINING DEPARTMENT. 



Literary, Art and 
Physical Culture Departments 

and Library. 



THE system of instruction employed in the School, almost from its beginning, is the combined or eclectic sys- 
tem, which embraces all known methods that are of any value, adjusted to pupils of all degrees of intelligence 
and ability to speak, in such a manner as to secure the greatest good to the greatest number ; or, to be still more 
explicit, each pupil is taught by that method which is the best suited to his or her individual need, or, in other 
words, that method which, in the broadest sense, yields the most satisfactory results. 

This necessarily divides the work of instruction into two departments : the Oral, and Manual. All new 
pupils, on entering school, are given a fair trial with reference to their ability to speak. If their speech assists more 
than it hinders complete development, they are put wholly under oral instruction ; but if, after prolonged trial, the 
reverse of this becomes evident they are at once transferred to the manual department. There are now one hundred 
and twenty-six in the oral, and sixty-three in the manual department. It should be mentioned here that there is 
one " Kindergarten " class in which the Froebel methods are applied with good results as far as practicable with 
deaf children. 

In this connection it is but fair to the present administration to state that, although articulation had been 
taught in this School since 1868, manual and oral pupils were not taught in separate departments as they now are, 
nor were there at any time so many under oral instruction. The largest number of those so taught under any pre- 
vious administration being about one-fourth, while it is now two-thirds of the whole number in attendance. 

While in such an institution, whose pupils are from families representing all forms of religious belief, no set 
form of worship is possible, yet an appropriate observance of the Lord's Day is required. 

Sunday-School is held from half -past two to half -past three on Sunday afternoons. Some teachers use the 
Sunday Lesson paper, others make selections from the Bible, and others use Mr. Weed's book, "Great Truths 
Simply Told." 

e 59 




THE SUPERINTENDENT AND TEACHERS IN THE LITERARY DEPARTMENT. 

Lillian Sorrensen. * Myrtle Long. 

•MaryD.Fonner. *IvaC.Pearce,B.S. * Elizabeth Bright-Phoenix. *ElsieM.Steinke. •SethW. Gregory, M. A. 
t Warren Robinson, M. A. t W. A. Cochrane, M. A. Supt.J.W.Swiler.M.A. *AlmiraI.Hobart, B.S. *\V. F.Gray. 

* Cornelia S.Goode. t.ThomasHagerty, B.A. tJ-J. Murphy, B.A. tJ.S. Long.M.A. *Agnes;Steinke. 

* Oral. t Manual. 



The Art and Physical Culture departments are really outgrowths of this administration. Dr. De Motte had 
endeavored to introduce drawing, and appointed Miss Lydia Woodson, whom the writer quite well remembers, as 
Art Instructor, but she was not retained, and that ended the first attempt made in this direction. 

What had been accomplished by R. A. Gates in gymnastics among the boys was obliterated by the fire of 
1879, so that when Mr. Swiler took charge in 1880, there was practically nothing left for him to commence building 
on, but, undaunted, he went to work and the final result of his efforts is now seen in the beautiful Studio which 
occupies an attractive and well-lighted room in the Manual Training School, and 
the fine and well-equipped gymnasium which was erected in 1889. While plans 
for extending the work in these departments were being developed, classes in Art 
and Physical Culture were early organized under rather unfavorable circum- 
stances, with competent instructors. 

In the Art Department eighteen boys and girls are enabled to avail them- 
selves of its benefits in charcoal drawing, sketching and work in water color and 
oil. The work done is all original. The teacher in charge of this department 
also teaches penmanship and free hand drawing to the intermediate and primary 
classes, the time allotted to each class being about twenty-five minutes. 

Miss Lillian Sorrensen is the instructor in this department. 

Miss Sorrensen's first home was at Portage City, Wis., but she is indebted 
for her early education to the public schools of Kilbourn City, Wis., and Dodge 
Centre, Minn., to which places she afterwards moved. After graduation she com- 
menced the study of art under Mrs. Lydia Ely, a noted artist of Milwaukee, and 
remained with her until she came to Delavan in 1893. She is at present on a 
year's leave of absence in Europe, to further perfect herself in her chosen pro- 
fession. 

Miss Stella Fiske, of Darien, is filling her place during her absence. 

The Department of Physical Culture opens November 1st and continues 
till the middle of April. The boys occupy the commodious gymnasium, which is well supplied with apparatus, 
while the girls have a separate apartment in the main building. The boys are divided into four classes, the girls 
into three. The exercises of the boys include marching, wand, dumb-bell and club practice, military drill in uni- 
forms, with rifles and accoutrements, and the use of apparatus for different parts of the body. 

The exercises of the girls, who have an instructor of their own, are along the line of free movements with 

61 




MISS L. M. SORRENSEN. 



calisthenics, and the use of a more simple apparatus than that of the boys. The influence of this department on 
the bearing and physical development of the pupils is clearly perceptible. The season closes annually with an 
exhibition which a large number of outsiders usually attend. Prof. Thomas Hagerty is the instructor of the boys 
and Miss Julia Carney, a graduate of this School, of the girls. 

Mr. Hagerty hails from Manitowoc, Wis. He is a graduate of this School, and of Grallaudet College, and 
was appointed a teacher here in 1891, to which were added the duties of instructor in gymnastics in 1893. Prof. 

Hagerty is well up in the photographers' art, 
and the groups and buildings of the School in 
this Souvenir were taken by him. He also pre- 
pared a constitution for the Phoenix Literary 
Society, and the Athletic Association, of which 
he is the head, by virtue of his position as in- 
structor in gymnastics. 

He has been Secretary of the Wisconsin 
Association of the Deaf, and is now its Treasurer. 
The Library forms a most useful and valu- 
able part of the School, for both reference and 
reading. It consists of nearly three thousand 
volumes. It is open to the pupils every Friday, 
and is accessible to the teachers at all times. 

Every other Friday evening during the 
winter a course of lectures, covering a wide range 
of interesting and instructive subjects, is pre- 
sented in the chapel to the advanced pupils by 
the men teachers. 

Since the founding of the School in 1852, 
1,136 pupils have availed themselves of its benefits. Of these 247 have graduated, and twenty-seven entered 
Gallaudet College in Washington, D. C, from which ten have graduated. 

The teachers in the Literary Department who will have served fifteen years or more by 1902, during the pres- 
ent administration, in the order of their appointment, are : Prof. J. J. Murphy, Mrs. Elizabeth Bright-Phoenix 
Prof. Warren Robinson, Miss Almira I, Hobart and Prof. W. F. Gray. 

62 





THOMAS HAGERTY, B. A. 



J. J. MURPHY, B. A. 




WOOD-WORKING ROOM IN MANUAL TRAINING DEPARTMENT. 



James Joseph Murphy, B. A., is a native of Canada, coming to Wisconsin with his parents when very young, 
settling at Janesville. The Wisconsin School and Gallaudet College are his Alma Maters, graduating from the 
latter in the summer of 1879. He received his present appointment in 1883. In 1889 he retired from the profes- 
sion on account of ill-health, but returned again to its ranks with restored strength, renewed interest and energy, 
and with a mind still better prepared than ever for his work by travel and change of occupation. He is a hard- 
working student, always on the lookout for anything likely to aid him in any way in the prosecution of his work. 

In 1889 he was appointed State Agent in collect- 
ing funds for the Gallaudet statue, which cost 
$10,000 ; and in spite of various difficulties and 
obstacles, succeeded in collecting $350 as Wiscon- 
sin's contribution. He was at one time Treasurer 
of the Wisconsin Association of the Deaf. 

Mrs. Elizabeth Bright-Phoenix commenced 
teaching here in the fall of 1884, being for a num- 
ber of years employed as a manual, but now as an 
oral teacher. Having taught five years in the 
first primary grade of the schools at Madison, she 
was the first teacher to make use of Kindergarten 
material in this School. She was also the first 
instructor of the girls in calisthenics. She was 
born on a farm near Elkhorn and received her 
education in the Madison High School and State 
University. 

Warren Robinson, M. A., was born in Mos- 
cow, Iowa county, Wis., and is a graduate of this 

He has written considerable on various subjects, including the first comprehen- 
sive history of this School up to date, has devised a new method of teaching language to the deaf, and is a firm 
believer in and advocate of practical education in the form of manual training, industrial education, etc. At one 
time he conducted an educational department in the Wisconsin Times, and is now editor-in-chief of the depart- 
ment of the State Association of the Deaf, in the same paper. He was the first regular instructor in gymnastics, 
and is now president of the State Association, chairman of the Industrial Section of the Convention of American 

64 





MRS. ELIZABETH BRIGHT-PHCENIX. 

School and of Gallaudet College. 



WARREN ROBINSON. M. A. 



Instructors of the Deaf, and chairman of the Committee on the Industrial Status of the National Association of the 
Deaf. In 1899 he was chosen with five other deaf gentlemen to represent the National Association at the Paris 
Exposition. 

Miss Almira I. Hobart was born in what is now known as South Milwaukee, but afterwards lived with her 
parents at Auroraville and Alma Centre, in Waushara and Jackson counties. Her early education was acquired in 
the common schools, and later in the Normal Schools and Kipon College, from which latter institution she gradu- 
ated in 1874. Her first regular teaching was in 

the School for the Blind at Janesville, Wis., 

from 1874 to 1882. After a short interval at 

home she became a member of our teaching 

force in 1884, first as a manual, and finally as 

an oral teacher with such success that she was 

entrusted with the supervision of the oral work 

in the School. In the summer of 1891 she 

visited Europe, and on her return was granted 

a leave of absence until October 1st, to visit 

prominent oral schools in the East. With the 

exception of one year, when she returned to her 

work in the School for the Blind, she has 

remained here ever since. 

From his birthplace on a farm in the town 

of Franklin, Vernon county, Wis., Prof W. F. 

Gray worked his way through the common and 

high school, and graduated in an advanced 

course from the State Normal School at Platte- 
ville in 1884, in the meantime teaching public school several terms. He was principal of Muscoda and Oregon 
High Schools for two terms each, and of the Sparta High School for one term. He entered upon his work here in 
1887, teaching in the manual until 1898, when he was transferred to the oral department. Having always kept in close 
touch with the trend of education in the hearing world, Prof. Gray was elected president of the Walworth County 
Teachers' Association in 1899. In 1893, after attending the World's Fair, he made trip to Europe with his family. 





MISS ALMIRA I. HOBART, B. S. 



W. F. GRAY. 



65 




FORGE ROOM IN MANUAL TRAINING DEPARTMENT. 



He believes in practical education, being himself skillful in the use of tools, and he has also added much to his 
knowledge of books, by extensive travel and observation, having visited most every place of importance in the 
United States. 




67 






■/<' Zs!i 









: >y*. 



lii Testimony^ . J/rfsYs/ Kj/,,// y/,u/,/y/7-U// y/y^// '' Y///r/./r?f/£jr./?y <r>//> uw/sj&r/S/'Me 









(7/7 //jh 



" Prcsid£ht or the Board 



SvKXufraoorr 



FAC-SIMILE OF THE PRESENT STYLE OF DIPLOMA AWARDED TO GRADUATES. 




Arthur 
Meehan. 

Katherine Peterson. 



CLASS OF 1899. 

Almon Bell. O. T. Zentzis. K. J. Olson. D. Cameron. 

Ella Doyle. Prof . J. S. Long. Gertie Fleming. Mary Stiles. 



Prof. W. 
Robinson. 



Annie Northrop. 



Miss A. I. Hobart. Supt. J. W. Swiler. Prof . W. A. Cochrane. 

William Burmeister. Enga Anderson. 



Thomas 
Irving. 

Nettie Hopkins. 



Joseph Mullen, 



Julia Carney. 



The Industrial Department. 



THE Industrial Department of the School is given the prominence it deserves. 
The Manual Training School offers a four-year course for boys in knife-work 
joinery, pattern-making, moulding, and forging; also a four-year course for 
girls in needle-work proper, sampler work, patching, embroidery, plain sew- 
ing, stitching and mending ; cutting, fitting and drafting in dress-making ; 
and a two-year course in plain and fancy cooking. 

At present there are sixty-two boys under instruction in the various 
lines of work ; seventy-six girls in the needle-work department, and twenty- 
two taking cooking lessons. Quite a number of the older boys are taking 
this work in addition to their shop-duties. 

The Principal of the Manual Training Department is E. J. Bending. 
He was born in Chicago in 1847. In 1849 his parents removed to Walworth 
county, Wis. After receiving a public school education, he lived in dif- 
ferent parts of the West, returning to Chicago in 1860, where he engaged 
with his father in the contracting and building business for a number of 
years. Becoming interested in manual training, he at once fitted himself 
for a teacher in that line and was offered and accepted a position in the 
Florida State College, Lake City, Fla., where he remained six years, resign- 
ing on account of ill-health. 

Mr. Bending has also had experience in railroad work, and as a 
commissioned officer of the Wisconsin State troops. He is not an ad- 
vocate of trade-teaching in our schools, but of manual training in the 
broad sense of the cultured mind, the trained eye and the skilled hand. 
He believes in this wonderful age of iron and steel, of tools and machinery, 
and that it is necessary for every man and boy to know something about them. 

70 



drafting, wood-carving, 




PRINCIPAL E. J. BENDING. 



The Department of Domestic Science is in charge of Mrs. Clara Wilcox Henderson, who has had consider- 
able experience in such work. She received her education in the schools of Manitowoc and Chicago, afterwards 
taking an advanced course of study in Domestic Economy in the Lewis Institute, Chicago. She was born in New 
York and came to Delavan in 1885. She took charge of this department in 1898. 

In the printing office fifteen boys and girls learn typesetting, and do other useful work pertaining to their 
trade. Besides getting out, weekly, the Wisconsin Times, they do a quantity of job work. In 1895 a " Children's 
Page" was begun in the Times, conducted by J. Schuyler Long. 

Fred. C. Larsen is editor and instructor. 
Mr. Larsen was born in the city of Racine, 
August 11, 1871, but moved to Neenah with his 
parents when a youth, where he was educated. He 
chose the printer's trade, and his first employ- 
ment was with the Daily News; later he was con- 
nected with the Kauhanna Sun. He then entered 
the printing firm of King, Fowle & Co., of Mil- 
waukee, and later held cases on the Minneapolis 
Tribune. Going to Chicago in 1892, he remained 
there for two years. He subsequently accepted 
the position of foreman on the Lake Geneva News, 
and in the fall of '95 was appointed to his present 
position. As a newspaper man, he is favorably 
and widely known. He is single. 

Twenty-four boys work in the shoe-shop, turn- 
ing out a large number of boots and shoes, and 
doing a great deal of repairing. The boots and 
shoes made find a ready sale. 
The present instructor is John Beamsley, who has held the position since 1882. Mr. Beamsley was born in 
England, arriving in this country with his parents when he was only a year old. He has lived in Wisconsin for 
over fifty years, the greater part of which time he has been a resident of Lake Geneva and Delavan. 

The cabinet shop furnishes employment to eighteen boys in cabinet-making and carpentry, besides the 
doing of extensive repairs in furniture, and about the buildings. 
7 71 





FRED. C. LARSEN. 



MRS. C. W. HENDERSON. 




A CLASS IN SEWING IN MANUAL TRAINING DEPARTMENT. 



A. C. Bloodgood was the instructor until after the preparation of this Souvenir was well under way. 
Mr. Bloodgood is a New York man. He was engaged for several years in teaching, but being mechan- 
ically inclined, began work at the carpenter's trade in Delavan twelve years ago. He is an architect of no 

mean ability, having planned several buildings 

for Delavan. Mr. Bloodgood holds a State 

Teacher's Certificate, which he received from 

the State Normal School at Whitewater in 1887. 

Lately he has given considerable attention to 

Manual Training. Having been offered the 

position of chief instructor of manual training 

in the High School at Waukegan, 111., he 

gave up his position here on August 1st, 

1900. 

Mr. D. E. Lee, a former instructor, was 

again appointed to fill the vacancy. 

Instruction in baking has been given for 

a number of years, and while the number of 

pupils who have been able to avail them- 
selves of such instruction has been exceed- 
ingly limited, still good results have been 

shown, and a profitable and useful industry 

has been maintained. George W. Kirk is in 

charge. 

No doubt many readers of this Souvenir will naturally ask, " What are all those boys and girls doing who 
have left the School? " The School not only takes great satisfaction but pride in saying that, with very few excep- 
tions, they are making excellent records in various lines of work. Among them are teachers, printers, artists, 
mechanics, tailors, dressmakers, milliners, farmers, barbers, shoemakers, gardeners, etc., and one architect, one 
assistant postmaster, one real estate man, one grocer, and one editor. 




J 




A. C. BLOODGOOD. 



JOHN BEAMSLEY. 



73 




< 

I 



z 



Organizations in the School. 



THE Teachers' Association, which meets on the last Friday of each month, has held an important place in the 
School with but slight intermission for the last forty years. 

* * * 

The Phoenix Literary Society is an organization among the boys of the advanced classes for the purpose of 
cultivating the art of debate, public speaking, essay writing, etc. It holds weekly meetings during the winter. 

* * * 

The Ariadna Literary Society among the girls, corresponds to the Phoenix Society among the boys. 

* * * 

The Phoenix Green Athletic Association has for its object the encouragement of the manly sports of football, 
baseball, tennis, gymnastics, and field and track athletics. 



SOCIETIES OF THE DEAF OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL. 



The Wisconsin Association of the Deaf ; organized 1876. 

* * * 

The La Crosse Association of the Deaf, of La Crosse ; organized 1893. 

* * * 

The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Deaf-Mutes of Milwaukee ; organized 1898. 

* * * 

The Belle City Friendship Pleasure Club, of Racine ; organized 1900. 

* * * 

The general object of the above Societies, is the furtherance of the interests of the deaf, and the betterment 
of their condition socially, morally and intellectually. 

46 




GALLAUDET COLLEGE. 



Prhs. E. M. Gallaudet, Ph. D., LL. D. 



Gallaudet College and W 'isconsin Graduates 

— AND — 

FORMER STUDENTS AND THOSE NOW IN COLLEGE. 



AS so many have entered Gallaudet College from the Wisconsin School, it is no more than proper to give that 
institution a fitting place and mention in this Souvenir. Accordingly a photograph of the College and its 
honored President was procured, and is herewith presented to its readers. 

Gallaudet College was founded in Washington, D. C, by E. M. Gallaudet, Ph. D., LL. D., son of Dr. Thomas 
Hopkins Gallaudet, the founder of the first permanent school for the deaf in America, at Hartford, Conn., in 1817. 
Since it was opened in 1864, six hundred students have enjoyed the privileges it offers in the way of higher education. 



GRADUATES, WITH THE YEAR OF THEIR GRADUATION. 

BACHELOR OF ARTS. 

Thomas A. Jones 1872 

Frederick L. DeB. Reid 1872 

James C. Balis 1875 

J. J. Murphy 1879 

Lars M. Larson 1882 



Harry Reed . 
Warren Robinson 
Thomas Hagerty . 
Benjamin Round 
Wallace Williams 



1883 
1884 
1890 
1892 
1895 



MASTER OF ARTS. 

Warren Robinson 



1887 



NON-GRADUATES AND FORMER STUDENTS. 



Myron J. Clark. 
* Anthony J. Kull. 
Fred. W. Stickles. 
Richard E. Dimick. 



Philip S. Engelhardt. 
Charles Reed. 
Joseph Mosnat. 
* James Conrad. 

NOW IN 
Duncan Cameron. 



John Donnell. 
* James Rutherford. 
Herbert L. Johnson. 
Francis Reynolds. 

COLLEGE. 

Fred Neesam. 



Alfred W. Gould. 
Eric L. Sampson. 
William Cusack. 



* Deceased . 



77 



Those graduates who have not already been briefly noticed, are: Thomas Jones, James C. Balis, Lars M. Larson, 
Harry Seed, Benjamin Round, Wallace Williams, and Fred. L. DeB. Reid. 

Thomas Jones, B. A., is a native of Wisconsin, and was the first student from this State to graduate from the 
College. He is now living at Marinette, Wis. 

James C. Balis, B. A., was born in Oriskany, N. Y.. coming to Milwaukee, Wis., with his parents in 1857, enter- 






JAMES C. BALIS, B. A. THOMAS JONES, B. A. LARS M. LARSON, B. A. 

ing this School in 1869. After his graduation from Gallaudet College, he was the President's private secretary for two 
years, then an instructor in the Maryland School for Colored Deaf and Blind Children at Baltimore, and after that a 
private tutor in the same city. In 1880 he became a teacher in the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, at 
Turtle Creek, remaining till 1890, when he removed to Belleville, Ontario, Canada, where he is now teaching in the 
School for the Deaf, located there. His wife is instructor of Art in the same school. 

Lars M. Larson, B. A., comes from Jefferson, Vernon county, Wis. He graduated from Gallaudet in 1882, 

78 



and taught for several years in the Chicago Day School. Mr. Larson is the founder of the " Wisconsin Association 
of the Deaf," and also of the School for the Deaf at Santa F6, New Mexico, of which he has been the head for 
thirteen years. It was he who gave to the site of the School the name of " Phoenix Green." Among his latest projects 
for the benefit of his fellow deaf is a home for the aged and infirm deaf of Wisconsin. At the last re-union he intro- 
duced resolutions looking toward the commemoration of the semi-centennial of this School, and the Twenty-fifth Anni- 
versary of the Association, at the next meet- 
ing in 1901. 

Harry Reed, B. A., was admitted to this 
School from Menasha, Wis., and from here 
he went to Grallaudet College, graduating in 
1883. He taught in this School for three 
_jg years, and also for a time in the Kansas and 

Florida Schools. He was twice elected pres- 
ident of the Wisconsin Association of the 
Deaf. He is now in a printing office in 
Indianapolis, which trade he has generally 
followed when not engaged in any other 
business. 

Wallace R, Williams, B. A., was born in 

the township of Burns, La Crosse county, 

Wis., and lost his hearing at six years of age. 

In spite of his deafness he received much 

of his early education in the hearing school 

of the district where he lived, but the provisions for more advanced work were 

so lacking that he secured admission to this School, graduating with the class 
of '90. After his graduation from Gallaudet College, most of his time was spent on his father's farm, until he 
received his present appointment as teacher in the State School for the Deaf at Baton Rouge, La., in 1900. 




HARRY REED, B. A. 




WALLACE R. WILLIAMS, B. A. 



79 



Benjamin F. Round, B. A., was born in Jeddo, Marquette county, Wis. He is editor and proprietor of 
the Akron (Iowa) Register. 

Fred DeB. Reid, B. A., was born in England. He came to America when a boy. He was a pupil of the 
Wisconsin School for the Deaf. He was for many years a teacher in the Nebraska Institution at Omaha. He is 
now living on a ranch of his own out West somewhere. It is said he is a relative of the celebrated Whitelaw Reid. 
Not knowing his address, no photograph of him can be secured. 




BENJAMIN F. ROUND, B. A. 



80 



* Members of 
Boards of Trustees and Boards of Control 

OF THE WISCONSIN SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF. 



1852 - 1898. 



H. Hunt 1852-58 

Wyman Spooner 1852-53 

F. K. Phoenix 1852-54 

E. Cheesebro 1852-54 

W. C. Allen 1852-62 and 1863-71 

D. G. Williams 1852-54 

J. A. Maxwell 1852-54 

J. C. Mills 1852-56 

Kev. P. W. Lake 1852-56 

Salmon Thomas 1853-58 and 1862-71 

O. W. Blanchard. 1854-57 

N. M. Harrington 1854-70 

C. Betts 1854-65 

J. D. Monell, Jr 1854-58 

Harrison Reed 1856-58 

Moses M. Strong 1856-58 



Joseph Baker , 1857-58 

Willard Isham '. 1857-69 and 1875-76 

E. p. Conrick 1858-61 

Samuel Collins 1858-60 

C. Miller 1858-61 

Hollis Latham 1858-81—23 years. 

Timothy Mower 1858-63 

Martin Field 1858-62 

C. D. Long 1860-72 

A. H. Barnes 1861-73 

Thomas M. Martin 1862-65 

A. L. Chapin, D. D 1865-80 

H. L. Blood 1865-76 

J. B. Whiting 1869-71 

W. D. Bacon 1869-71 

James Aram 1872-75 



* This list is taken from the Report of the School for 1898 with a slight re-arrangement and some additions. 

81 



Edward D. Holton 1873-74 and 1878-81 

John E. Thomas 1874-77 

Joseph Hamilton 1875-78 

S. Rees LaBar 1876-81 

D. G. Cheever 1877-81 

Albert Salisbury 1880-81 

Charles Luling 1881-92 

Charles D. Parker 1881-89 and 1891-95 

George W. Burchard 1881-85 

James Bintliff 1881-88 

Lewis A. Proctor 1881-91 

Nicholas Smith 1885-91 

W. T. Parry 1888-91 

W. C. Gilbert 1889-91 



Wm. H. Graebner 1891-95 

Clarence Snyder 1891-97 

J. E. Jones 1891-95 

J. L. Cleary 1891-95 

J. W. Oliver 1891-95 

Hans B. Warner 1895-96 

Hon. Richard Guenther 1895-98 

James E.Heg 1895-98 

Lemuel Ellsworth 1895-97 

Hon. Wm. Penn Lyon 1896 

Hon. George W. Bishop 1897 

Hon. E. R. Petherick 1897 

Hon. N B. Treat 1898 

A. G. Nelson 1898 




82 



Officers and Teachers. 



T 



HE following persons have been resident officers of the School for the periods of time indicated by the double 
row of figures : 



PRINCIPALS. 



J. K. Bradway 1852-53 

Lucius Foote 1853-54 

Horatio N. Hubbell 1854-54 

Louis H. Jenkins 1854-56 



PRINCIPALS AND STEWARDS. 

J. Scott Officer 1856-65 

W. H. Milligan 1865-68 

Edward C. Stone 1868-71 

George L. Weed 1871-75 

Wm. H. DeMotte 1875-80 



SUPERINTENDENT AND STEWARD. 

John W. Swiler 1880 



STEWARDS. 

A J. Woodbury 1875-78 

K. A. Gates 1881-84 



CLERKS. 

Sam. M. Parish 1860-70 

A. J. Woodbury 1870-75 

R. A. Gates 1878-81 

Ed. D. Fiske 1884-92 and 1898 

Charles M. Tallman 1892-95 

Harry G. Hambright 1895-98 



MATRONS. 

Mrs. Adelia F. Jenkins 1853-56 

Mrs. M. Marshall 1856-57 

Orpha S. Taylor 1857-61 

Mrs. L. Eddy 1861-62 

Miss M. J. Adams 1862-69 

Alice F. Cornell 1869-71 

Mrs. Luthera J. Hill 1871-76 

Mrs. W. H. Bishop 1876-77 

Mrs. A. Broadrup 1877-80 

Mrs. Julia A. Taylor 1880-84 

Mrs. J. W. Swiler 1884-85 

Sarah D. Gibson 1885-91 and 1895 

Mrs. M. H. Schilling 1891-93 

Mrs. S. M. Montgomery 1893-95 



83 



ASSISTANT MATRONS. 

Mrs. J. A. Mills 1860-62 and 1863-66 

Flora C. Virgil 1862-63 

Mrs. Hattie O. Armstrong 1866-68 

Miss M. J. Sturtevant 1868-70 

Miss E. E. Boyce 1870-72 

Ruth Sturtevant 1878-82 

Alice E. Turley 1882-83 

Adaline Briggs 1883-84 

Sarah D. Gibson 1884-85 

Anne M. Gray 1885-87 

Mrs. Ellen McLean 1887-90 

Tillie Cannon 1891 

ENGINEERS. 

D. T. Gifford 1870-77 

John Bonk 1877-83 

Pearce Martin 1892-96 

W. M. Stillman 1883-92 and 1896 

PHYSICIANS. 

H. Hunt 1852-54 

O. W. Blanchard 1854-57 

Cyrus Sayles 1857-58 

George H. Briggs 1858-62 and 1863-67 

„ . f 1862-63 and 1868-70 

J. B. Hemingway j ^^ ^ ^^ 



H. W. Milligan 1867-68 

D. B. Devendorf 1870-76 

H. D. Bullard 1878-82 

C. C. Blanchard '. 1896 

TEACHERS. 

John A. Mills 1852-55 

Hiram Phillips 1854-78 and 1881-82 

Zachariah McCoy 1855-83 

John A. McWhorter 1856-70 

Lucius Eddy 1859-68 and 1870-74 

W. A. Cochrane 1867-71,1875-92,1895 

Geo. F. Schilling 1868-83 

Ezra G. Valentine 1869-73 

Miss J. Northrop 1870-71 

C. L. Williams 1871-77 

Mary Johnson 1871-74 

Thilip S. Engelhardt 1872-73 

Mary E. Smith 1873-83 

Thomas Clithero 1874-75 

Imogene Tilden 1876-78 

Isabelle Kimball 1877-78 and 1881-82 

Rosetta Ritsher 1878-83 and 1884-86 

W. J. Fuller 1878-83 

Mary Hunter 1879-92 

Kate DeMotte 1879-81 

Helen E. Briggs 1882-84 

Alice E. Turley 1883-84 



84 



Miss A. I. Farrant 1883-87 

James L. Smith 1883-84 

Edward E. Clippinger 1883-85 and 1892-95 

Harry Reed 1883-86 

Mary E. Griffin 1884-85 

Alice Christie 1885-88 

B. T. Bensted 1885-92 

Annie M. Gray 1887-91 

Mary H. Schilling 1888-89 

Emily Eddy 1857-94 

Eleanor McCoy 1874-95 

Almira I. Hobart 1884-85 and 1886 

Elsie M. Steinke '. 1887-94 and 1895 

Warren Robinson 1884 

J. J. Murphy 1884-90 and 1892 

E. G. Bright-Phcenix 1884-91 and 1892 

W.F.Gray 1887 

IvaC. Pearce 1888 

Thomas Hagerty - 1891 

Agnes Steinke 1891-97 ^and 1898 

J. Schuyler Long 1889 

Myrtle M. Long 1898 

Florence Parry 1896-98 

Mary D. Fonner 1896 

Margaret J. Stevenson 1894-98 

Clara J. Maklem 1894-96 

Seth W. Gregory 1894 

Cornelia S. Goode 1899 

Mary E. Williams, Normal Student.1900 



BOYS' SUPERVISORS. 

Howard Hamilton 1876-76 

Harry Sturtevant 1876-77 

R. A. Gates 1877-78 

Theodore Pearce 1878-79 

Edgar D. Fiske , .1879-84 

B. S. O'Neal 1884-88 

W. D. Eckerson 1888-88 

William Blanchard 1888-91 

Thomas Hagerty 1891-91 

Clarence Wright 1891-92 

George Rogers 1892-92 

J. E. Wachute 1891 



INSTRUCTORS OF BOYS IN 
GYMNASTICS. 

Warren Robinson 1885-89 

J. Schuyler Long 1889-93 

Thomas Hagerty 1893 



INSTRUCTORS OF GIRLS IN 
GYMNASTICS. 

Elizabeth Bright-Phoenix 1885-91 

Mrs. E. F. Long 1891-93 and 

Ruth Swiler 1894-96 

Julia I. Carney 1899 



85 



INSTRUCTORS IN ART. 

Clara E. Waite 1883-84 

Mary Jameson 1884-87 

Eva L. Cutter 1887-92 

Jene Bowman 1892-93 

Lillian Sorrensen 1893 

Stella Fiske (temporary) 1900 

INSTRUCTORS IN MANUAL TRAINING. 

E. J. Bending (boys) 1896 

A. F. Struckmeyer (girls) 1896-98 

Mrs. C. Henderson (girls) 1898 

INSTRUCTORS IN PRINTING. 

Miss N. E. Derby 1880-82 

Charles Lemmers 1882-83 

Fred. W. Stickles 1883-84 

Charles E. Badger 1884-91 



Wm. T. Passage 1891-95 

Fred. C. Larsen 1895 

INSTRUCTORS IN CABINET-MAKING AND 
CARPENTRY. 

Emanuel Young 1860-81 

E. D. Blanohard 1881-86 

Frank Cowles 1886-88 

David E. Lee 1888-92 

Hollis Stone 1892-96 

Arthur C. Bloodgood 1896-1900 

David E. Lee ...1900 

INSTRUCTORS IN SIIOEMAKING. 

Thomas K. Middleton 1866-69 

Charles H. Rideout 1869-77 

R. S. Miner 1877-82 

John Beamsley 1882 



86